Everyone wants to have a clean and attractive smile. It is one of the fundamental things that people notice about you when you meet. However, having the best smile may not be easy, especially if you faced health problems or injuries. Teeth can wear down over time and may need some work to look their best. Fortunately, working with a good cosmetic dentist can help you fix your smile. There are plenty of practices for cosmetic dentistry in Savannah, GA, that you can rely on. Here is how cosmetic dentistry can change your life.
Repair Broken Teeth
Some of the hardest problems to deal with are broken teeth. That is because broken teeth can take a lot of work to restore or repair. In many cases, people choose to have crowns, veneers, or dental implants placed to fix or cover up the damage. A cosmetic dentist can help you find the best solution for your needs. Crowns, bridges, and veneers are less extreme ways of saving your natural tooth and improving how it looks. If your tooth cannot be saved, then a dental implant can be placed so that you maintain functionality. All of these options can be used to improve the look of your smile.
You will likely experience problems with the color of your teeth over time. Your teeth can be stained and the enamel on your teeth can break, leaving lasting stains that normal dental care cannot remove. A cosmetic dentist can treat these stains using several methods including teeth whitening. Not only will the stains be removed, but you will also have a whiter, more even smile. Teeth whitening is easy but may take a few appointments to get to the right shade that you are looking for. However, your dentist can help you get the smile that you want with proper care and by improving your overall dental health in the process.
Crowns and Veneers
Crowns and veneers are among the most common cosmetic dental solutions. A crown is a cover for your tooth. You can use it to fix and protect a broken tooth, and it looks exactly like a normal tooth. Veneers are thin covers that go on the front of your teeth. Many people get veneers when they are worried about the overall look of their teeth. In many cases, veneers can easily cover up problems with your teeth, including making them look straighter. Depending on what your veneers are made out of, they can last between 5 and 10 years. Crowns tend to last longer than that, so both are good fixes for problems with your smile.
Replacing Old Parts
If you had cosmetic dentistry work done before, then it may be time to have some of it looked at. The tools, techniques, and parts that your cosmetic dentist uses improve significantly over time, especially in the last few decades. So, you may have old parts that are outdated that need to be replaced. This is especially true given the prevalence of mercury fillings and crowns. A skilled cosmetic dentist can tell if parts need to be replaced and help you get the work done that you need to be safe and happy with your smile.
Ready for a New Smile?
Savannah Dental Solutions has a team of skilled cosmetic dentists that can help you improve your smile. Call our office at (912) 354-1366 to schedule an appointment. Let us help you get the smile that you want.
Loosely defined as any dental procedure that improves the look of your smile, cosmetic dentistry is an excellent solution for those with broken, stained, misshapen, or otherwise imperfect teeth. The focus is on appearance rather than functionality, but many cosmetic procedures also improve the overall quality of your teeth. Here is an overview of some popular cosmetic dentistry solutions.
- Planning Your Smile: Your cosmetic dentistry journey begins with a cohesive plan of action. If you have any existing dental disease, such as cavities or gum disease, the first step is to treat those issues and restore your mouth to optimum health. Then, you are ready for a full assessment of your current smile and the areas that could use improvement. Your dentist will take all aspects of your features into account, from skin tone to eye color, as well as the dental issues that you want to correct. With this information, your dentist will lay out a proposed treatment plan.
- Teeth Bleaching or At-Home Whitening: Whiter teeth are a top request among many dental patients, and thanks to new technology, this is easier to achieve than ever before. Whether you prefer an in-office deep bleaching solution or a custom-formulated at-home whitening kit, the results are generally dramatic and can last for many years. If your teeth are in good shape, but are suffering from stubborn stains or darkening, this may be the only cosmetic procedure you need.
- Dental Veneers: Strong and durable, yet thin and unnoticeable, porcelain dental veneers are an excellent solution to dental problems ranging from deep staining to misshapen or broken teeth. In many cases, dental veneers can even cover gaps and misalignment. Today’s veneers are stain resistant and incredibly natural looking, giving you a brand-new smile in just two visits.
- Mercury Filling Replacement: Silver-mercury amalgam fillings were the treatment of choice for cavities for many years, and some dentists still use them today. However, dental research has consistently shown that they are not the best solution.
It is difficult to detect new cavities or cracks behind these fillings, and the material does not bond to the tooth surface nearly as well as composite resin does. In addition, silver-mercury fillings create an obvious dark spot that takes away from the aesthetics of your smile. For these reasons, having your silver-mercury fillings replaced with white composite materials can dramatically improve both your smile and your overall dental health.
- Dental Implants: The most natural replacement currently available for severely damaged or missing teeth, dental implants are an excellent solution to major dental issues. A biocompatible titanium implant is placed where the tooth root used to be, and is finished with a very natural looking crown. Much stronger, more stable, and more comfortable than dentures, dental implants feel and function like your own teeth.
Dental implants can be used to replace individual teeth, to anchor a bridge that spans a run of missing teeth, or even to support an entire upper or lower arch of replacement teeth. Depending on your individual needs and existing oral health, you might even qualify for an All-on-4, a single-visit procedure that eliminates the traditional four to six-month healing process between placing the implants and creating the final restoration.
- Crowns: A time-tested solution for badly failing teeth, crowns are still an important part of modern cosmetic dentistry. New techniques and technology allow your dentist to carefully remove only the damaged portion of the tooth, leaving its underlying structure largely intact. Today’s crowns are highly realistic and natural in appearance, and are strong enough to restore an average of 98% of the original tooth strength.
For those whose teeth are healthy but aesthetically displeasing, cosmetic dentistry is a wonderful way to restore self-confidence and create a winning smile. If you have underlying dental disease, it must be treated first to create a healthy, optimal environment for cosmetic solutions. No single procedure is right for everyone, so your journey will begin with a thorough examination and proposed treatment plan. Depending on your existing smile and the results you hope to obtain, you might undergo one or several procedures to create the best new smile for you.
Married dentists Chad and Alexandra Schnabel welcome you to Savannah Dental Solutions. From caring children’s dentistry to high-tech cosmetic procedures and even full-mouth reconstruction, we blend the latest technology with traditional customer-oriented values. To start your journey to better oral health, call us today at (912) 354-1366.