Invisalign is a great option for those who are looking for a discreet way to get orthodontic treatment. It can straighten teeth, adjust bite issues, and even address overcrowding just like traditional braces can. However, it does so in a much different manner.
If you are interested in Invisalign, but you are weighing your options, then you likely wonder how the length of Invisalign’s treatment compares to traditional braces. It’s understandable. But, before we can answer the question, you should know that the treatment time frame depends on a few different factors.
Average Invisalign Treatment Time
Generally speaking, the average Invisalign treatment time is about 9 to 18 months to straighten teeth. Traditional metal braces with brackets and wires can take about the same amount of time, as well. Though, for some, traditional braces can take 2 to 3 years to fully finish treatment.
Invisalign works beautifully for those with mild to moderate orthodontic issues, but more complex treatment will require traditional braces. This could explain a little bit about the treatment time.
What Can Impact Treatment?
Some people fly through their Invisalign treatment while others seem to keep wearing them, month after month. So, what causes this variation? There are a few things that can impact Invisalign treatment. Below are a couple of contributing factors.
- The complexity of your orthodontic needs. The more your teeth need to move or the greater the misalignment, the more extensive and time-consuming your treatment. Invisalign is designed with aligners that are to be worn for two weeks and then switched out for the next one in the series. This is all designed digitally so that you will have the right amount of aligners for your treatment. The more you have, the longer your treatment will take.
- How often you wear your aligners. Invisalign aligners are intended to be worn at least 20-22 hours per day. This allows you time to take the aligners out to eat, brush and floss your teeth, etc. Not wearing them as you should may greatly impact your treatment timeline.
- Treatment plan adjustments. If your dentist doesn’t feel the plan is moving as it should, he or she may make adjustments to your treatment. This can potentially change your treatment completion date.
Complying with Treatment
With traditional braces, you don’t have the freedom to remove them at will since they are attached to your teeth. Invisalign, on the other hand, lets you remain in control. This means if you want to get your treatment done on time, you need to do a few things that will remove any chance of delay.
- Listen to your dentist. When you are given the instructions on how to comply with treatment – follow them. This includes when you should wear them and how often you should change them. And always be sure to keep your follow-up appointments.
- Wear your aligners as much as you can. Invisalign treatment only works when you are wearing the aligners. Even though you have the ability to take them out – wear them as much as you can so you can move through treatment in a timely manner.
- Invest in an aligner case. Every time you lose an aligner (which happens), your progress is slowed. But, by investing in an aligner case – and always keeping it with you – you will have a designated place for your aligners when you take them out.
- Consider putting in a new aligner at bedtime. The initial few hours in a new aligner can be a little snug and uncomfortable. By switching them out at night, you get to ease yourself into the new aligner while asleep.
Invisalign Treatment at Savannah Dental Solutions
At Savannah Dental Solutions, we love watching our patients transform their smiles through Invisalign treatment. If you are interested in learning more about it or to get started, contact us at (912) 354-1366.