Thanksgiving is all about food. Whether you’re snacking or feasting, the menu will probably include multiple helpings of turkey, stuffing, pies, cakes, and other family favorites. Carbohydrate-rich meals and sugary treats are inevitable. Savannah Dental Solutions doesn’t want to spoil your fun, but we’d like to give you some quick tips on taking care of your teeth during the long weekend of football and fun.
The Top 5 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Teeth on Turkey Day
1. Avoid sticky foods. You might remember this from our Halloween blog. Well, the same goes for Thanksgiving. Pecan pie and other gooey relatives can stick to your teeth, get caught in between teeth thereby allowing sugar to hang around longer and increase your chances of causing cavities.
2. Avoid hard foods or using your teeth as a tool. Don’t crack nuts, open bottles, crack popcorn kernels, or try to bite through anything that could crack, chip, or damage your teeth.
3. Try and limit in between meals or snacking. Eating a meal, waiting 30 minutes and brushing is your best approach. Grazing throughout the day adds to the acids in your mouth and can harm your teeth.
4. Balance your eating. Protein and veggies can offset the acids created from created from carbs and sweets.
5. Keep your toothbrush handy. Get a soft to medium bristle travel brush. Brushing 30 minutes after a meal can help decrease your risk for cavities. Rinsing your mouth immediately after eating can help remove food and acids.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Take care of your teeth. You’ll need them for next year’s Thanksgiving feast! If your family keeps the tradition of a backyard football game, consider a mouth guard. Don’t take a chance on losing a tooth. It’ll make turkey time less enjoyable!
Savannah Dental Solutions
Drs. Chad and Alexandra Schnabel
9A Medical Arts Center
Savannah, GA 31405
Phone: (912) 354-1366