Are you considering getting a teeth whitening treatment? Or perhaps you’ve just had a whitening treatment done. Teeth whitening is a popular and common cosmetic dental procedure. It is one of the fastest, least invasive, more affordable options for improving the appearance of your smile. As people consider whether or not to whiten their teeth, a common question many people have is how long does teeth whitening treatment last?
There’s no definitive answer to this question, as there are many factors that affect how long your teeth whitening results will last. Here’s what you can expect when it comes to teeth whitening and longevity.
Average Time Length for Whitening Results
On average, teeth whitening lasts 1 to 2 years. Some patients may find that their results only last about 6 months, while others may find that their teeth stayed white for 3 years or more. It really depends on the following factors.
Factors That Affect How Long Teeth Whitening Lasts
There are many factors that have an impact on the length of time you can expect your teeth to stay white after a teeth whitening treatment, such as:
- Type of treatment. Professional teeth whitening treatments typically offer longer lasting results than over the counter whitening products. If you have a whitening treatment in your dentist’s office, your results will most likely last longer than if you used whitening strips or wands from the drug store.
- Your initial results. The more dramatic your results, the longer they will last. In other words, the whiter your teeth appear after the initial whitening treatment, the longer it will take for them to start looking dull or discolored again. Professional whitening treatments typically offer more dramatic results than over the counter whitening products.
- Touch ups. Most professional whitening treatments come with at-home touch up treatments you can do to keep your teeth looking white for longer. Without touch up treatment your results may not last as long.
- What you eat and drink. There are certain foods and beverages that are known to discolor teeth. If you drink coffee, tea, red wine, and dark soft drinks you may find that your teeth won’t stay white as long as they would if you avoided these beverages. Some teeth staining foods can also be a problem, like blueberries, blackberries, beets, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and anything with artificial food dye. Avoiding these foods and beverages can help your teeth stay whiter longer.
- Smoking. If you smoke cigarettes, cigars, a pipe, or any other tobacco products you are likely to find that your teeth whitening results do not last as long. Chewing tobacco will have the same teeth discoloration effects. Touch up products may help to prevent teeth staining from these habits.
- Oral hygiene habits. Brushing your teeth twice a day can help your teeth whitening results last longer. Brushing immediately after consuming foods or beverages that stain your teeth can reduce their effects.
- The health of your teeth. The healthier your teeth are, the more likely your teeth whitening results will be more effective and will last longer. Healthy tooth enamel is solid and more stain resistant than teeth that are thinner and more porous.
- Visiting your dentist regularly. If you go to the dentist for regular cleanings every 6 months it will help your teeth whitening results last longer. Dental cleanings remove plaque which can stain the teeth and polishes the surface of your teeth so that they are smooth and shiny, which enhances your teeth whitening results.
Savannah Dental Solutions Provides the KöR Teeth Whitening System
When it comes to teeth whitening treatments, Savannah Dental Solutions recommends the KöR teeth whitening system. We provide this treatment to patients who are ideal candidates. We create your custom fit trays so that you can conveniently whiten your teeth at home while you sleep. The two week at-home treatment is then followed up with an in-office procedure to complete your treatment.
Call (912) 354-1366 or contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Are you looking for a dentist in Savannah, Georgia or the surrounding area? Whether you are new to the area or you just need a change, looking for a new dentist may seem overwhelming. With so many dentists to choose from, how do you decide where to go?
Finding a new dentist doesn’t have to be difficult. It helps to know where to start and what to look for. Consider these tips on how to find the best dentist in your area.
Ask for Recommendations
Start by asking for recommendations from friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, and other health professionals. Ask the person making the recommendation what they like about their dentist and why they would recommend them. It helps to know what you’re looking for in a dentist in the first place so that you can listen for the specific criteria you have. Compile a short list of potential dentists to start with and then move on to the following steps.
Confirm Qualifications and Credentials
Do some research to determine what qualifications and credentials a dentist has. You can usually find this information on their website. Look for their educational background and license. If this information is not readily available, contact the dental office and request it. Any professional dental office should easily be able to provide proof of the qualifications of the dentist as well as other members of the dental team who will be providing your care.
Look for Experience
Another key quality in a dentist is experience. Find out how long the dentist has been practicing and how long their current practice has been in operation. Experience means that you can expect a higher level of care than you might get at a new practice with an inexperienced dentist and staff. If you can’t find this information online, contact the dental office to ask. It is always better to know for sure than to take a chance or ignore this highly important piece of information about a potential dentist.
Read Reviews from Patients
Read patient reviews online, not just the ones the dental practice puts on their website. Take the time to read a range of reviews. If there are negative reviews, don’t immediately cross the dentist off your list. Look at the reason for the negative reviews. What may have bothered one patient may not be an issue for you. Also pay attention to the manner in which the negative reviews or conflicts were resolved, which speaks volumes to the level of customer service and care you may receive.
Consider Your Insurance
Insurance providers and dental practices are sometimes in-network with each other. This means that the insurance company and the dentist have negotiated the pricing of dental services ahead of time. You will likely pay less out of pocket if you go to a dentist who is in-network with your insurance provider. If a dentist is not in-network, they may still accept your insurance. This means they will bill your insurance company for the services they provide to you, your insurance company pays the amount or percentage according to your plan, and you are responsible for the remaining balance.
Look for a Dentist That Meets Your Needs
Do you need a dentist for the whole family or just yourself? If you have children and you want to be able to take everyone to the same place, look for a family dentist who sees patients of all ages. Some dentists are specifically pediatric and others only see adults. Make sure to find a dentist who accommodates your needs as an individual and a family.
Savannah Dental Solutions Provides Comprehensive Dental Care
Now that you know how to find the best dentist in your area, you can find all the above criteria and more at Savannah Dental Solutions. We provide a complete range of dental services to patients of all ages. We welcome families with children as well as adults. We accept most dental insurance providers and offer a wide range of payment and financing options to make your care affordable.
Call (912) 354-1366 or contact us today to schedule an appointment.