What do I do about a knocked out tooth?
A knocked out tooth can be terrifying, yet dentists in the United States treat an estimated 5 million cases per year. In most cases, the tooth can be saved if you avoid panic and follow these steps:
1. Retrieve the tooth: Handle it only by the chewing surfaces, taking care to avoid the root.
2. Rinse thoroughly: Under plain running water, rinse away dirt and debris. Do not rub the tooth or use any type of cleaning agent.
3. Push it in: If the tooth fits back into the socket, gently push it in and hold it in place.
4. Keep it damp: If the tooth cannot be reinserted, gently hold it between the cheek and the gums or place it in a glass of milk. Submerging it in water could damage the root.
5. Head straight for the dentist: You have about 30 minutes to get to the dentist’s office for the best chances of saving the tooth. Teeth can sometimes be saved even after an hour, but every minute over 30 reduces the odds.
Married dentists Chad and Alexandra Schnabel welcome you to Savannah Dental Solutions. From caring children’s dentistry to high-tech cosmetic procedures and even full-mouth reconstruction, we blend the latest technology with traditional customer-oriented values. To start your journey to better oral health, call us today at (912) 354-1366.